Summer’21 release is no doubt a huge highlight! There are so many cool updates that we have been looking forward to for a long time. Today I will share with you my 7 favorite Summer’21 features for Flow, and 3 great summary posts from the community. Let’s jump straight in!
For Record-Triggered Flow
We no longer need to use a Decision element to compare current value and prior value. This can also stricten the entry criteria, and make your automation more neat!
I was almost dancing when I knew we can now debug a Record-Triggered flow! It is truly a time-saver, and it’s just awesome that you can run those records as if they are created or updated. Cool!
From now you can choose to update the record that triggers this flow. It is useful because:
- For after-save, we used to have to use one Assignment and one Update Records. Otherwise, if we choose “Specify conditions”, it will cost one SOQL. With this new option, we can skip the Assignment and no extra SOQL will be called.
- If you have several outcomes, you can choose to skip the Decision Element and only use Update Records.
For Autolaunch / Schedule-Triggered Flow
If you are not that familiar with Flow, the Pause element used to be very error-prone because it was hard to debug. Well, not anymore!
For Screen Flow
A secret for you – this is actually my first wish ever when I started with Flow. I am so happy that this is finally available. Definitely check out the release note to see the example of how pretty your Screen elements can become!!
6. Take Fields Directly From An Object (Beta)
The concept of breaking fields up is similar to Dynamic Actions, but the fact that we can do it in Flow is just AMAZING! Follow the steps if you want to use this feature:
- Create A Record-Single Variable (ex.recordId) and enter it to “Record Variable”
- You will see the available fields. Drag them to your Screen canvas
(Note: Only some types of fields are available)
- After the user input, the new values will be automatically stored in the record variable. Remember you still need Update Records to commit the changes.
There are some huge improvements for Picklist, Radio Button, Multi-Picklist, and Checkbox Group:
- Set default value to none or any value from your picklist choice. No need to create an extra choice resource.
- Mark them as required more freely.
- Switch between four different components. (This is so convenient!)
Other Cool Features
That concludes my favorite feature for this release. However, there are also some other cool features I didn’t include in above. Check out the release note if they are interesting for you!
If you are looking for more summaries for Summer’21 Flow release, check out the reference below. Personally, I love the one by Jennifer the most – It is very comprehensive along with many simple examples.
- Jenwlee’s Salesforce Blog – Summer ’21 Flow-hancements
- forcePanda – Summer’21 Sneak Peak for Flows!
- SalesforceBen – Summer ’21 Treasure Hunt: Preview Orgs are Coming!
What are your favorite features? Leave a comment and let us know!
Is This Helpful? Check Out Flow Use Cases Or Write Us One!